Physical Activity, Trips, Events
What you need to know
- Children with an ASD may have a hard time with change and transition. They may be challenged in situations where there are excessive stimuli.
What you can do
- Pre-plan the schedule. If unexpected changes are made, make sure to let the student know the reason. Provide support for the anxiety that might result.
- Remind the student that changes in schedule may occur.
- Review itinerary often before upcoming trips
- Discuss expected behaviors of the student while at the event
- Use written schedules with pictures whenever possible
- Work with parents and team to anticipate any sensory effects of the new environment and make a plan for dealing with them.
- Consider any dietary restrictions
- Consider the seizure protocol if there is one.
- Ensure seizure meds are available for the child if necessary.
- Acquire emergency contact information from parents