School Absences & Fatigue
What you need to know
- Most children with Williams syndrome will not have increased absences due to medical issues, but this possibility should be discussed with the parents.
- Sleep problems are common and may lead to fatigue during the day.
- Low muscle tone and problems with balance and body position sense may lead to increased fatigue.
What you can do
- Ask the parents about medical issues that might affect the child’s attendance
- Alert the parents of changes in the child’s energy level
- Use a communication book between school and home to keep track and learn about issues at home that may affect fatigue